Subject: Re: electricity bill versus repair bill
From: Marc Dole <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 13:37:01 -0500

>	Incidentally, he also told me that there's much more over-all
>damage done to machines by power drops than by spikes, and he recommends
>that we all have a power-stabilizer box, which protects from both kinds of
>power fluctuations. (That is to say, machines are statistically damaged
>more often by drops than by spikes.  Excuse my syntax). 

        I have 4 computers, monitors, drive tower, and a video deck running
of an APC battery backup/line stabilizer.  It cost me $1k, but everytime i
see the lights dim in the office or I hear the APC beep due to low voltage I
get a techie smerk on my face.

        You can spend as little as $150 to get a Backup/stabilizer that will
work for one machine.

>
>	My two amiga's run all the time.  I'd like to leave my monitors 
>running all the time, too, but even with screenblankers on, they sort of 
>glow in the dark and keep us awake.  Your monitors are the real power 
>users, compared to the cpu's.  

>	For us, it's cheaper to leave them running,--and, we don't have 
>to turn the heat on in the bedroom.  
>
>
>

I shut my monitors off, and The computers will still heat my office.

Marc Dole (603) 659-7778   "The one who dies with the most toys wins."
    Alpha Lightwave Animator / Amiga Re-Animator / Flyer Pilot
              http://www.bluefin.net/~madvideo